I'm with JP, I'm not sure what "scientifically-based research" Conley thinks is the best to base teaching on. There's a lot out there. I'm also not sure that standards-based Big Ideas is always "the more effective starting point for teaching and learning" (p. 65). I do appreciate his list of suggestions on pp. 75-76, which is where we'll concentrate some of our time today during our Blog "Chalk Talk."
Backwards mapping seems like a way to help students think about testing as its own genre, asking them to think about how they arrived at an answer. Makes sense to me for teachers to talk with students about how to take tests, as long as it's balanced with other genres of learning.
I wish Conley would have gone more in depth about what he means by "critical literacy" (p. 69). He gives a good definition, "weighing evidence across multiple texts, images, sounds, and multimedia" (p. 69). I find the inclusion of all the different modes compelling, but I wish he'd give some examples for us to chew on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment