Today's agenda looks like this:
1. As is common, time to read each others' thoughts/writing is valued in this course. Choose two postings from your peers' blogs and respond thoughtfully. I define "thoughtfully" as dialogue. In other words, don't just tell them what you agree with, push their thinking (i.e., What if questions...How would you do this questions...What do you mean when you say questions...I see your point, but I disagree comments...you get the point).
2.Wed we'll meet in the lab for Bonnie Cooper's presentation of SmartBoard technology. Before you leave today, create a posting describing your experience (or lackthereof) with SmartBoard or Promethium technologies. What have you seen? What have you heard? Most importantly, how can you imagine using these tools in your future classroom?
3. Go to Bloglines, read my blog. As a comment to this post, write a "Red Light" (JohnBishop plz can we stop doing X) and/or a "Green Light" (JohnBishop I'm finding X valuable). All types of comments are welcome. This is your exit slip.
4. I'll be having individual conferences during class today.
5. Photo of the day:
Red light:
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the time we spend in the computer lab, but it seems to be too repetitive for me.
Green light:
I am finding the use of blogger/bloglines somewhat valuable because communicating through the use of the internet is important and it is vital that we be up to date on the programs available to us.
(RED LIGHT)I am getting a little more comfortable with the computer, but I'm getting tired of having class in the computer lab all the time. It is somewhat repetitive, but I do understand that as future teachers, we need to be aware of technology and how to use it in the classroom.
ReplyDelete(GREEN LIGHT) I do enjoy your positive attitude toward technology use. You have taught me many things about blogger and twitter use.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(Red Light) Would like to add more discussion about the readings or content in class so we are not on the computers the whole time, but like being in the computer lab because it allows us to write & respond in class since we have alot to do outside of class with all our classes & projects.
ReplyDelete(Green Light) Like using blogger to see how others read or thought of the reading, plus makes me actually read. Appreciate the knowledge gained on how to use technology in the classroom.
Green Light:
ReplyDeleteI am really enjoying using technology as much as we do in this class. It seems you try to incorporate it into everything that we do.
Red Light:
Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed with some of the technology. At some points, I feel like saying stop using all this technology; however, the more I use it and play around on the sites, the more I get comfortable with it.
Just wondering
Why are we not using Twitter anymore? I created the account, but you do not ask us to do much involving that program. Why not?
RED LIGHT
ReplyDeleteAs you know I dislike bloglines although I enjoy the variety of technology I wish this one could be cut out. I would also like to Twitter again. I love to Twitter!
GREEN LIGHT
I enjoy blogging on blogger it allows us to write out thoughts and feeling and our peers provide us with feedback and their insights as well. It makes reading and writing more fun and easier to do.
Green Light: Reading the blogs allows me to be more open minded by listening to other people's views on things. Also It helps us to refelct on our reading, which is very important to me.
ReplyDeleteRed Light: Although I like the time in the computer lab, I'm not good at all of the blogging stuff. It so confusing, but I'm getting better.
I have seen instructors and some students using the Smartboard, but I do not know how to use it. I have also seen the teacher I observe at Petal using the Promethian Board. I think I like the Promethian Board the best. She uses it to work Math problems and to bring up things she needs the students to see from her computer. It is a neat technology. I am looking forward to learning more about both of these technologies.
ReplyDeleteMy "Green Light:"
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading others peoples' blog. When I read them, it really makes me think and see from a different perspective. Not only that, it in some ways makes me think a little deeper and also allows me to give feedback to someone on what I agree with and also things that they could think a little deeper about. Many times I find that I did not get the same thing out the chapter that some did, and it makes me think in different ways.
Red Light-I hate reading Conley's book, which by default makes these chapter blogs a bit tedious. Then again, if it weren't for the chapter blogs, I would not read the book and would have essentially wasted my money. So thanks, kinda.
ReplyDeleteGreen Light-I actually like being in the computer lab during classes. I spend enough of my day in class for lecture so it's a nice break for me, and I appreciate the work-at-your-own-pace thing. It takes the pressure off a little.
My "Red Light:"
ReplyDeleteOne thing that I do not enjoy so much is the amount of websites such as: Blogger, Bloglines, and Twitter, that we use in the class. It becomes confusing, hard to follow, and hard to keep seperate.
RED LIGHT
ReplyDeleteI am somewhat tired of using the computer and text as our only resources. I would like to explore other resources that I have not seen or encountered such as classroom techniques and how we could use community based activities or readings to incorporate in classrooms.
GREEN LIGHT
I like that we have to post majority of our work on blogger. It compiles all of my classmates ideas into one location. There are brilliant minds in this program and I love when they share. :)
Red Light: I enjoy blogging but I do not like the fact that most of our blogs are about chapter readings. I feel like I am reading a chapter and then writing a summary. I think it would be great to first have class discussions and then blog about our opinion of the topic we discussed in class.
ReplyDeleteGreen Light: I liked the tradebook presentations.
Red light- I think we all get the idea of blogger and bloglines. I think that it has become so repetitive that we are annoyed with doing it all the time. Maybe once a week would be better for us.
ReplyDeleteGreen Light: I am glad that we have time to write and answer blogs in class because there are a lot of kinks to work out with using them (especially during the beginning) and this gives us the opportunity to ask you questions about it. I also enjoy reading what my peers thought about the chapters we read and their different views on things.
Red light:
ReplyDeleteI am still unsure of why we use bloglines. Doesn't blogger provide the same information as blog lines? And doesn't bloglines NOT allow you to post on to other blogs? I get a bit overwhelmed when there so many places to go, yet we are receiveing the same information form each place.
Green Light:
I really like how we get to work at our own pace but are still brought together in the beginning and end of each class. This gives us a starting point in the beginning and a place to recollect and evaluate at the end.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMy green light:
ReplyDeleteI love blogger. I can read others comments and posts to get a better understanding of the book. See how they read and interpreted the chapter. I think this deepen my own understandings.
My Red light:
Doing too many different technologies at one time. I know we have not really touched on twitter in few classes, but trying to learn each one at once was crazy. (Bloglines, blogger, twitter) I am not that old but I am cant do that many at once. Just trying to keep it all straight.
Green Light: I really enjoy being able to read my classmates comments on what they thought about the topic. It causes me to think more on that topic after reading what they found most interesting.
ReplyDeleteRed Light: I enjoy blogging, but sometimes I would like to blog about things other than the chapters.
Red Light: I would like to discuss the chapters in class a little more. Maybe you could do the blog comments one week and a class discussion the next.
ReplyDeleteGreen Light: I have enjoyed learning about twitter, blogger and using bloglines. I didn't know about some of these sites such as, blogger before this class. I plan on using blogger in my classroom, I wouldn't have my students sign up for a blogger account (unless they have to do so to post questions). I would use it to post homework assignments just in case they forget to write them down or so that their parents can find out what they have to do for class.
Red Light:
ReplyDeleteAlthough I enjoy doing the blog postings on the chapters, I wish we could blog about other ideas or topics instead of it always being from the chapters.
Green Light:
I enjoy posting the blogs and getting the opportunity to read classmates' blogs. By reading the other blogs, I can see other classmates' viewpoints about the chapter. I always find interesting viewpoints that are similiar and quite different from my postings. Since I know that I will have to post a blog on the chapters, I am more motivated to read the chapters.
RED Light
ReplyDeleteThe writings required on Chapters and multiple respondings to peers can be overwhelming at times.
GREEN Light
I do learn from the process and comments by blogging.
I appreciate the time allowed in class to complete assignments. Otherwise, it would be near impossible for me because I don't have internet at home. So, THANKS!
RED LIGHT
ReplyDeleteI think that we know to do the postings of our chapters and commenting on other people's postings, and we mostly do all of this at home before coming to class. I think that we should only meet when you have new technology to teach us or something that we need to see or do.
GREEN LIGHT
I am glad that the chapters and comments are the only things that we have to do in your class. I do not mind doing that. I am also glad that you introduced us to new technology. It is so helpful and fun, especially twittering. I didn't know anything about blogging or any of the technology you introduced us to until this class. You make it seem so fun and interesting, and it really is.
GREEN LIGHT
ReplyDeleteI like the blogging because it allows me to see what everyone else has to say about the chapter. It also allows for everyone to get a chance to have a say in what they read.
RED LIGHT
ReplyDeleteWow, like so many others, I could care less about using bloglines. I pretty much just access everyone's blogs from my blogger account. Bloglines just doesn't do it for me.
GREEN LIGHT
I absolutely love blogspot and twitter. I think twitter is fun and exciting (reminds me alot of just changing my status on facebook or myspace). I like Blogspot especially since I can make it more personal. And I would rather hop online and respond to my classmates through the computer.
Dr. B,
ReplyDeleteI actually enjoy your class. I feel that it is useful in the teaching field. I would like to GREEN LIGHT- the blogging. I find it connects in a different way than a class discussion would. And it gives me ideas for my future classroom. Also I would like if you brought the video cameras to class. I RED-LIGHT the mandate on the length of postings. If the chapters are thouroughly(typo) read then the response will naturally be an appropriate length.
Red Light:
ReplyDeleteNothing really. Sometimes what we do in the lab can get a little tedious. I don't mind being in the lab, I just wish we could do some different things.
Green Light:
I love the projects we are doing in this class. The DLP is the only thing I am enjoying about school right now. (Sshh! Don't tell my other teachers.)
I also like that we are learning some innovative ways to use tech in the classroom. It's usually just "You could make a PPT or do a web search."
~Red Light~ I really dislike the blogging and the twittering. I appreciate learning about the different types of technologies that are available to use with students, but I personally do not like doing it. I like to read others' blogs to view their ideas about the readings because they give me ideas that I can possibly use in my classroom. I also dislike having to always post about the chapter readings. As one of your other students mentioned, I'd like to post about other things as well. Perhaps I don't like doing it because I always forget to do it. IDK! I really don't have a choice, so I'll just suck it up! (-:
ReplyDelete(Red Light) Although technology is becoming a little more comfortable, I don't feel that I am learning enough. Reading and reflecting does not really appeal to my learning style. I enjoy grand conversations in the classroom and varying classroom activities. I guess I am old fashion in the sense that I like human to human conversations.
ReplyDelete(Green Light) I like learning about the different tools that can be used to motivate students. Technology is essential to student learning and tends to appeal to many different students.
I need to know these applications, I would just prefer to vary activities in the classroom a bit more.
Redlight: I do not enjoy the blogging. I had rather have a class discussion on the chapters because I enjoy hearing other people's insights and opinions. Discussions, to me, are much more valuable that typing into a computer. We do not have enough time to read eveyone's blogs and consider their viewpoints.
ReplyDeleteGreenlight: I think the information in this class is very valuable. However, I feel as if I have missed out on so much because of the attention giving to blogging.