Wednesday, March 4, 2009

SmartBoard & Promethium Experiences

I have only heard about the wonders of the Promethean boards. Apparently they can clean your house and make you a sandwich, but I have never seen one in use, and I honestly don't know what the difference between this and a SmartBoard is, or even if there is one.

It is quite interactive too. You can create pictures and work on math problems on the board. You can even make marks or circles directly from webpages for students to make notes.

Another good thing about the Promethean Board is that it comes along with clickers. The teacher can play games and have the students click their answers in. It gives the amount of students that got questions correct or incorrect without pointing at one particular student.

I prefer the promethium board more though because it allows for more teacher-student interaction. The technology can be used to teach something, explore something, and even as an assessment tool.

I love the Promethium board. I have seen an entire lesson prepared and it has endless possibilities. You can:
Record a lesson on the promethium and have a sub show it later if you are sick
This includes any thing you circle, write in, websites visited (I think)
Record your voice so you are talking over what is happening on the board.
You can use the Internet with it, or to upload anything
You can do interactive activities with it
It can be used like a white board just to write notes on
It is interactive with hand held devices.
You have little hand pods they can answer questions (a, b, c, d)
You can fade from one picture to another
Add picture effects
Add sound effects
Text effects
You can write, highlight, bold (just tones of stuff)


It was like magic watching her work this thing. She did her math lesson on it and she was teaching shapes. She would pull her her work, sling things around with this pin, use an application that had all the students names stored in it to call on students, and if the color wasn't right she could click on some thing and choose another color. It was pretty much awesome. Then, she had the students answer questions to measure their understanding by having them use their remote and choose the best answer. After they finished she could print out the results. I was flabbergasted.

She had a presentation on Komodo Dragons, and on one slide she could click on the animal and it would bring up a video of the dragon in its habitat. She could link the slides to websites that shared cool information that really helped the children get more out of what they were learning. Also when a teacher is going to be absent, she can record herself teaching the lesson and anything that she writes on the board is shown as she discusses it. It is just like having class without the teacher actually being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment